reach, point of sail (nautical-sailing)

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by tamarinera, Jul 8, 2016.

  1. tamarinera Member

    American English - Mid Atlantic
    How does one say "reaching" and/or "broad reach" and/or "beam reach" and/or "close reach" in Spanish?

    While we're at it, how do you say "point of sail"? I used "las relaciones con el viento."

    I am a sailor (in English) but don't know how to say these specialized terms in Spanish.

  2. Lnewqban

    Lnewqban Senior Member

    South Florida
    Spanish - Cuba
  3. tamarinera Member

    American English - Mid Atlantic
    Thanks very much: those are totally excellent! I also found this from the US Coast Guard Interpreter Corps:

    In English, a "reach" can be close, beam or broad. But in Spanish it looks like they are all distinct. According to your Rumbos de Vela Respecto al Viento site, they are:

    Close hauled: de ceñido
    Close reach: a un descuartelar
    Beam Reach: de travéz
    Broad reach: A un largo ( or de aleta: Spanish has two where English only has one term)
    Running downwind: Popa redonda. The USCG paper uses slightly different terms, so anyone who finds this after the fact may want to investigate both to find their best options.
  4. cirrus

    cirrus Senior Member

    Crug Hywel
    UK English
    Also useful - orzar is to luff.
  5. dimelo2 Senior Member

    English-United States
    These are great to know! Thanks! One little correction for you. :)

Share This Page