< reach | put | lower | stretch > your hands down

Gioacchino

Italian
Hello, please imagine that a small kid is trying to get down from a certain surface head first. The surface is not too high and on the floor there's a pillow so that they can land safely. However, you want to teach the kid how to use their hands to protect their head and neck while coming down. In other words, you want them to stretch their arms so that their hands come into contact with the pillow before their head. Would you consider using one of the following sentences? Which one is the most appropriate?

1) put your hands down
2) reach your hands down
3) lower your hands
4) stretch your arms

Thank you

Last edited:
  • Gioacchino

Italian
    "Reach out and put your hands on the pillow, then lower yourself down" is how I'd put it.

Thank you athox. May I ask one more question? What if the kid can't reach the pillow initially (before starting to move down), because the pillow is too low. How about:

"Reach out towards the pillow"?

Gioacchino

Italian
    Thank you bennymix and anthox for the example sentences you gave, I'm definitely going to use them in place of those in the OP. But, if someone could explain why none of the sentences 1) to 4) in the OP is a great fit in this context, I would really appreciate it.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I had difficult understanding what movement you had in mind unless you add information about the pillow.

Personally, I would prefer "stretch out your hands towards the pillow." You are describing the direction of movement.

If I were describing what the child was doing, I might say 'The child is reaching towards the pillow, or The child is putting their hands down." I don't think those would be as clear as instructions to a child who needs to be told how to protect their head.

Last edited: