reaching roughly

Kacy.H

Chinese
1. Industrial and domestic usages didn't see obvious increases until around 1950, reaching roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3 respectively by 2000. :tick:

Hi, people. The implied subject of "reaching" should be "industrial and domestic usages". But after I inverted the first cause, its subject is no longer "industrial and domestic usages". Can I still say "reaching"?

2. Not until around 1950 did industrial and domestic usages start to see obvious increases, reaching roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3 respectively by 2000. ❓❓❓❓

I wrote them.

water copy.jpg

• bh7

Canada; English
    Hi Kacy.M,
    Your sentence 2 is ok. If you wished, you could perhaps phrase it slightly more idiomatically:
    Not until around 1950 did industrial and domestic water consumption rise significantly, reaching by [the year] 2000 roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3, respectively.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Not until around 1950 did industrial and domestic water consumption rise significantly, reaching by [the year] 2000 roughly 1000 km3 and 500 km3, respectively.
    Thank you very much. As you can see, there are two figures: 1000 km3 and 500 km3. That's why I used the plural "industrial and domestic usages" to reflect the two figures.

Could you explain why the single "consumption" is better? Can I say "industry and domestic water consumptions"?

Chasint

English - England
    Thank you very much. As you can see, there are two figures: 1000 km3 and 500 km3. That's why I used the plural "industrial and domestic usages" to reflect the two figures.

Could you explain why the single "consumption" is better? Can I say "industry and domestic water consumptions"?
    It is the usual collocation.

"consumption" is non-countable.

Last edited: