reaction to deposit carbon/of carbon deposition

< Previous | Next >

maxluc

Banned
Italian
I would like to ask you which form is correct in the following:
The proposed mechanism for the reaction to deposit carbon/of carbon deposition is as follows: ...

Context: the process I am referring to is the deposition of carbon on boron powder.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, maxluc. Is something else reacting to the deposition of carbon on boron powder? If so, then "reaction to deposited carbon" or "reaction to the deposition of carbon" make sense to me. Those phrases also make sense to me if you are referring to the reaction of boron to the deposition of carbon.

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    The wording you want should be "deposit of" or "depositing of." "Deposition" is not commonly used for what you mean, and it will likely be confused with the legal meaning of a statement under oath.

owlman5

English-US
    I disagree, MuttQuad. I heard the word "deposition" used frequently in technical language about the deposition of thin films when I worked in the semiconductor industry. I don't think any technician or engineer would be likely to mistake "deposition" in this context with any other use of the term.

maxluc

Banned
    Italian
    Hello, maxluc. Is something else reacting to the deposition of carbon on boron powder? If so, then "reaction to deposited carbon" or "reaction to the deposition of carbon" make sense to me. Those phrases also make sense to me if you are referring to the reaction of boron to the deposition of carbon.
    Thanks, owlman5. Do you mean reaction to deposit carbon? And reaction of the carbon deposition?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome, maxluc.

No, I didn't mean those things.

If the carbon deposit is reacting to something else, then "reaction of the carbon deposit" makes sense. "Reaction to deposit carbon" doesn't make sense to me.

My suggestions were meant to guide you in your choice of words if you are trying to express the idea that some other substance is reacting to the deposition (depositing) of carbon on boron powder.

maxluc

Banned
    Italian
    You're welcome, maxluc.

No, I didn't mean those things.

If the carbon deposit is reacting to something else, then "reaction of the carbon deposit" makes sense. "Reaction to deposit carbon" doesn't make sense to me.

My suggestions were meant to guide you in your choice of words if you are trying to express the idea that some other substance is reacting to the deposition (depositing) of carbon on boron powder.
    No, the reaction is only between ethylene and boron and leads to the deposition of carbon on boron. The deposit of carbon does not react with anything. Therefore, I cannot use reaction of the carbon deposition, can I? And reaction for the carbon deposition?

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    I hope you're still with me, maxluc. :)

The proposed mechanism for the reaction to deposit carbon/of carbon deposition is as follows: ...
    Context: the process I am referring to is the deposition of carbon on boron powder.
    No, the reaction is only between ethylene and boron and leads to the deposition of carbon on boron. The deposit of carbon does not react with anything. Therefore, I cannot use reaction of the carbon deposition, can I?
    That's right. Because the carbon doesn't react with anything, "the reaction of the carbon deposition" doesn't work. Here's my suggestion: The proposed mechanism for the reaction that deposits carbon...

You can also use "for the reaction of carbon deposition", but readers can have a hard time understanding the meaning of verbs that are hidden in noun phrases. I thought that using "deposit" as a verb made the idea a little easier to understand.

I don't know exactly why, but I found "reaction to deposit carbon" hard to understand when I first read it. Now that you've explained the phrase, I think it would also work although I prefer my version.

Last edited:

maxluc

Banned
    Italian
    I hope you're still with me, maxluc. :)

That's right. Because the carbon doesn't react with anything, "the reaction of the carbon deposition" doesn't work. Here's my suggestion: The proposed mechanism for the reaction that deposits carbon...

You can also use "for the reaction of carbon deposition", but readers can have a hard time understanding the meaning of verbs that are hidden in noun phrases. I thought that using "deposit" as a verb made the idea a little easier to understand.

I don't know exactly why, but I found "reaction to deposit carbon" hard to understand when I first read it. Now that you've explained the phrase, I think it would also work although I prefer my version.
    Thank you for your suggestion, owlman5.

< Previous | Next >