read the super running across the bottom of the screen

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
The tiny TV set in the wall was on and tuned to NewsAmerica, but Maura had muted the sound. She knew what was going on; by now even the dimmest inmate in Dooling knew. RIOTING AT HOME AND ABROAD, read the super running across the bottom of the screen. This was followed by a list of cities.
Source: Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Own King

Is super = crawl = a running ticker = news ticker?

Are these terms identical and interchangeable?

Related words I looked up in WRF:

super = “an additional image superimposed on the original video image”
crawl = “titles that slowing move across the screen, providing information”
news ticker = "a coloured strip or band running across the bottom of a computer or television screen, within which the latest news headlines are continuously scrolled."

Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    It sounds like he's referring to a "crawl" or "crawler." Perhaps he was thinking of "supertitles" (which are subtitles on top).

dojibear

AE (US English)
    I don't think "super" is a common term for this. Of course, in the book he could use any word and you would know what it means from the context:

RIOTING AT HOME AND ABROAD, read the albatross running across the bottom of the screen. This was followed by a list of cities.

The Newt

English - US
    I don't think "super" is a common term for this. Of course, in the book he could use any word and you would know what it means from the context:

RIOTING AT HOME AND ABROAD, read the albatross running across the bottom of the screen. This was followed by a list of cities.
    :D

< Previous | Next >