read

< Previous | Next >

bg1996

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
"an score of 83-12" appeared in my book. I don't know how to read "83-12" loud.:( "eighty three versus/to twelve"?

• bg1996

Cantonese,Mandarin;Kwangtung/Guangdong,hk
    Yes. In a basketball game. But if the score is 29-9(or 20-9), then I should say: twenty-nine, nine(or twenty, nine):). Right?

JamesM

I've also heard "29 to 9". I think this is commonly done when there might be confusion such as in the score "80-6" (eighty, six is a bit confusing, "eighty to six" makes it clear.)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I've also heard "29 to 9". I think this is commonly done when there might be confusion such as in the score "80-6" (eighty, six is a bit confusing, "eighty to six" makes it clear.)
    I should have added that I speak BE. In some games we do use the to form, as in tennis for games we use both (3, 2) or three games to two, ditto with sets - usually when we use the to form we'd put goals or games, or whatever units the game counts in, just before the to, as in my illustration. Obviously if the score could sound like a single number - e.g. thirty, three (thirty-three(?)) you might feel the need to use the to form (to say 'thirty baskets to three'). I think we'd more obviously use intonation to avoid ambiguity at the start of giving such a score.

< Previous | Next >