Read'em and weep

< Previous | Next >

gladorient

Chinese
Hello! The following is from The Magician King by Lev Grossman:

And yes, all right, she did spend six weeks in an insane asylum. There, she said it. It was awful, but she knew it was probably coming, and you couldn't blame here parents, not really.They gave her a choice, junior college or the laughing academy, and she picked door number two. What could she say, she thought they were bluffing, and she called them on it. Read 'em and weep.

What does the last sentence mean? I know it can be written as 'Read them and weep', but I cannot see any connection between this sentence and the previous part.

Thank you!

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    "Read 'em and weep" is a poker term. She thought they were bluffing, she called them on their hand (also a poker term), so, her parents had to read her hand (when disclosed) and weep.

EDIT: "em" or "them" refers to the playing cards.

gladorient

Chinese
    Thanks! It is really difficult to understand a language without necessary background knowledge.And you guys have taught me so much!

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "Read 'em and weep" is a poker term. She thought they were bluffing, she called them on their hand (also a poker term), so, her parents had to read her hand (when disclosed) and weep.
    I would say that she had to read her parents' hand and weep, because they were not bluffing.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Yes, RM1 is correct. I reread, and I was mistaken about who was saying "read' em and weep" to whom.

< Previous | Next >