ready salted

MidnightCharm

Spanish - Spain
Hi everybody. I got an insight about the history behind the use of ready salted thanks to a website where the origin of the label was explained.

But I still don't understand the use of ready. By ready salted I understand already salted, but ready doesn't mean already according to English dictionaries. Can someone help? :confused:

• MidnightCharm

Spanish - Spain
    What label? What is the product? What in the world are you talking about? Please give us some more context.
    Sorry, it's a label for crisps. I saw it written in a box in a 70s British TV show, and then I searched on the Internet and found it's commonly used in crisp bags for a variety of brands.

heypresto

English - England
    For crisps, peanuts, and the like, 'ready salted' is very common in the UK, and it just means 'salted'. In my childhood, the salt used to come wrapped in little squares of blue paper, and we salted the crisps to our taste. They stopped doing this at some point and kindly salted them for us to save us all the effort involved in salting them ourselves. I think this is when they started to call them 'ready salted'.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    They're 'ready' in the sense that cooked food is ready (to eat): you don't have to do anything more to them.

Ready salted is the name given to them when they have no other flavour: salt and vinegar, ham and pickle, cheese and onion, barbecue, prawn, Lincolnshire Poacher cheese and East Anglian cracked sea salt, etc.

Packard

USA, English
    I'm pretty sure I have never seen "ready salted" used in the USA. We do have products that are "unsalted", which contrary to logic does not mean that they removed the salt, but rather that the salt was never applied. This would be the equivalent of "pre-ready-salted".

So many products are now marketed with sea salt that I've become concerned that the oceans will become fresh water bodies, after all the salt has been culled out of them.

< Previous | Next >