real long-term risky interest rate

siouxsie2

Italian
How would you translate into Italian "Real risky long-term interest rate"?
Could it be "Tasso di interesse reale a lungo termine e rischioso (???)"
I really don't like it.

• cavillous

Italian
    Potresti postare la frase intera?
    Di cosa si parla?Di uno strumento finanziario?Obligazione?BOT?mutuo?
    Senza contesto è difficile capire a cosa si riferisce la serie di aggettivi real risky.

Cavillous

siouxsie2

Italian
    La frase intera è "Macroeconomists have discussed the Fed's difficulty in managing real long-term risky interest rates". Lo studio si riferisce all'applicazione dei tassi di interessi da parte della Federal Reserve in un contesto prima di espansione, poi di crisi economica.

Rob625

English - England
    This is quite a technical subject.

There are risk-free rates, where there is zero chance that the borrower will default (not pay back the principal); traditionally, this means goverment bonds. Everything else is risky, meaning that there is a chance of default. Because of the risk, risky interest rates are higher than risk-free ones.

Try "tassi di interessi a lungo termine reali rischiosi."

loco44

italian
    I macroeconomisti hanno discusso sulla difficoltà della FED nel gestire tassi di interesse reali a lungo termine rischiosi.

cavillous

Italian
    I macroeconomisti hanno discusso le difficoltà della Fed nel gestire i rischi reali a lungo termine legati ai tassi di interesse (sottintesa la politca dei continui tagli effettuati dalla Fed negli ultimi mesi).

Cavillous

siouxsie2

Italian
    This is quite a technical subject.

There are risk-free rates, where there is zero chance that the borrower will default (not pay back the principal); traditionally, this means goverment bonds. Everything else is risky, meaning that there is a chance of default. Because of the risk, risky interest rates are higher than risk-free ones.

Try "tassi di interessi a lungo termine reali rischiosi."

Dear Rob625,

The meaning of the expression is clear, but I don't think your translation (like mine) fits into Italian. It seems to be farraginous.

loco44

italian
    I macroeconomisti hanno discusso sulla difficoltà della FED nel gestire tassi di interesse reali rischiosi a lungo termine.

Rob625

English - England
    Dear Rob625,

The meaning of the expression is clear, but I don't think your translation (like mine) fits into Italian. It seems to be farraginous.

Hi Siouxsie

I'm not certain that 'real' is clear. I gave an explanation of the rest, because it seemed to me that your '... e rischioso' didn't fit the idea of 'risky rates'.

'Farraginous' doesn't exist in English. I looked up 'farraginoso = confused'. I quite like that. Does it come from 'farina'?

I think technical phrases like this are liable to sound awkward, even in the original, except to experts who are used to the pile-up of adjectives.

Regards
    Rob

Mod Note:
    Hi all! the discussion about Farraginoso/Farraginous has been split to this thread: Farraginoso. Please direct further comments on this word in the new thread. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cavillous

Italian
    Macroeconomists have discussed the Fed's difficulty in managing real long-term risky interest rates".

long-term real interest rates= tassi d'interessi reali a lungo termine
    si tratta di un termine finanziario.
    Risky è un aggettivo che però è difficile da piazzare vista l'impossibilità dell'italiano a formare parole composte anche se nell'originale inglese a rigor di logica avrebbe dovuto stare all'inizio risky real long-term iterest rates.Piazzato a metà non ha molto senso.
    Quindi la mia proposta è la seguente:

I macroeconomisti hanno discusso le difficoltà della Fed a gestire i rischi legati ai tassi d'interessi reali a lungo termine.

Cavillous

siouxsie2

Italian
    Hi Siouxsie

I'm not certain that 'real' is clear. I gave an explanation of the rest, because it seemed to me that your '... e rischioso' didn't fit the idea of 'risky rates'.

'Farraginous' doesn't exist in English. I looked up 'farraginoso = confused'. I quite like that. Does it come from 'farina'?

I think technical phrases like this are liable to sound awkward, even in the original, except to experts who are used to the pile-up of adjectives.

Regards
    Rob

At last, thanks to Loco44, surfing the Internet, I've found an Italian translation. It's the following: "tassi di interesse reali rischiosi a lungo termine".

Anyway many thanks for your help.

Mod Note:
    Hi all! the discussion about Farraginoso/Farraginous has been split to this thread: Farraginoso. Please direct further comments on this word in the new thread. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I macroeconomisti hanno discusso le difficoltà della Fed a gestire i rischi legati ai tassi d'interessi reali a lungo termine.
    I think this has a different meaning from the original. The sentence in English is not concerned with managing the risks associated with long-term interest rates. It is making a distinction between risk-free and risky interest rates.

Elisabetta

ETA: Glad you found a suitable translation, xiouxsie2. Financial terms can be difficult. ;)