real right law and property law

< Previous | Next >
  • Matching Mole

England, English
    "Real right law" is a phrase used only in China, as far as I am aware. In particular it refers to an actual law: the Real Right Law of the PRC. However, "real rights" are understood in western law to mean ownerships rights in land. Without understanding the Real Right Law, it's impossible to say what the equivalent would be in, say, English law—if there is an equivalent.

In common use, the word "property" is often used to refer solely to land and buildings, however, this is imprecise as "property law" is a wider concept, including all property: e.g. goods as well as land. In a broad sense, "real property law" (the word "real" refers to land and buildings) or perhaps "land law" (a very general term) might be better.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    However, "real rights" are understood in western law to mean ownerships rights in land.
    In the U.S., we use the phrase "real property rights" to refer to ownership rights in land. In law school, my Property Law professor also used the phrase "estates in land" to refer to this, but I haven't heard anyone use this phrase in the last 20 years.

I have never heard of "real rights" before now.

tiantian888

Chinese
    Thank you very much for the explanation. I have noticed there are many English terms with Chinese characteristics, which sometimes confuse me a lot as I don't know whether they sound idomatic or not for native English speakers.

< Previous | Next >