realise or recognise

chakotay19

norwegian
Hi,

Me and my friend were standing next to the window this morning , smoking a sigarette.
I asked my third friend not to begin to do the dishes because he was standing in the way.

He joked with us and gave the following answer: I did not recognise that the two of you were there.

I tried to correct him and said: You should have used the word: realise

Then the discussion started:

Can somebody tell me which of the following versions is the correct one?

I did not realize that the two of you were standing there.

or

I did not recognize that the two of you were standing there.

Truly yours
Atti

• MikeNewYork

English-American
    Hi,

Me and my friend were standing next to the window this morning , smoking a sigarette.
    I asked my third friend not to begin to do the dishes because he was standing in the way.

He joked with us and gave the following answer: I did not recognise that the two of you were there.

I tried to correct him and said: You should have used the word: realise

Then the discussion started:

Can somebody tell me which of the following versions is the correct one?

I did not realize that the two of you were standing there.

or

I did not recognize that the two of you were standing there.

Truly yours
    Atti
    I would choose "realize".

sdgraham

USA English
    Me and my friend :eek: My friend and I were standing next to the window this morning , smoking a sigarette.
    Welcome to the forum chakotay

Yes, "realize" is the word you want, but "Me and my friend were...." is horrible English.

chakotay19

norwegian
    Hi Graham,

Thank you so much for your answer! ....And sorry for the " horrible English":))):D....I will not make this error again::)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, realise (or realize) is the word you want.

If you want to use recognise, you must follow it with an object, rather than a clause: I didn't recognise the two of you standing there! It has a different meaning from I didn't realise that the two of you were standing there. In the former, the person looked at the the other two and it didn't register that they were known people. In the latter, the person probably didn't even notice the two were standing there.

P/S Welcome to the Forum, Chakotay! :)

Lau Lau

Español, España
    Yes, realise (or realize) is the word you want.

If you want to use recognise, you must follow it with an object, rather than a clause: I didn't recognise the two of you standing there! It has a different meaning from I didn't realise that the two of you were standing there. In the former, the person looked at the the other two and it didn't register that they were known people. In the latter, the person probably didn't even notice the two were standing there.

< Previous | Next >