realize a project?

< Previous | Next >

slavipet

Bulgaria
Hi everyone,
I have doubts about the usage of the verb "realize" in the following context. "More and More projects have been realized recently." Is it appropriately used?
Thanks for your help,
slavipet

• njfworld

English - Canada
    I would be more inclined to say "...projects have been carried out". Sounds more idiomatic in English.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Literally "realize" means "make real". So "many projects have been realized" means many "ideas for projects" have been turned into "actual, real projects."

While this phrase often implies the projects were finished, it does not have to. The meaning of "reaize" isn't finishing the project: it is changing something that is not a project (it is only an idea) into a "real project" with workers, plans, money, resources etc.

Both "execute" and "carry out" emphasize something different: bringing an already-real project to completion.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I have heard "realize" used in this context mostly by people whose first language was not English. Apparently it is a cognate of the usual word used in French and other languages. However, while it can be used with this meaning in English, it is unusual in business. Try to find a synonym, such as the one suggested by njfworld in post 5.

< Previous | Next >