Rebel-backing Turkey

< Previous | Next >

Mina_

Turkish
Hi
Here's a sentence from the BBC News article titled Syrian civil war: 'Three killed' in attack on Turkish convoy.
"Idlib, one of the few areas not under government control, was supposed to be protected by a buffer zone agreed with rebel-backing Turkey last year."
Could you please tell me what "rebel-backing Turkey" refers to? As far as I understand "backing" kind of describes "support" in this context. But I can't get the exact idea what the sentence refers to. Thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    rebel-backing Turkey = Turkey, which is backing the rebels

The grammatical structure is normal, but there's something odd about this example (I'm not sure what). It reads like journalistic shorthand, not what we'd naturally say.

Mina_

Turkish
    rebel-backing Turkey = Turkey, which is backing the rebels

The grammatical structure is normal, but there's something odd about this example (I'm not sure what). It reads like journalistic shorthand, not what we'd naturally say.
    Well, can I use "rebel-backing" to imply rebel's support? I mean to state that rebels support something or somebody. For example, Would it be correct to say:
    "The government is rebel-backing" to imply "rebels support the government" or would "rebel-backed" be the right one to use? I think rebel-backed is the appropriate one. But I'm not sure though. What would be your interpretations?
    By the way, thank you both so much for replies.

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    Rebel-backed is correct if you want to say that the rebels are the source of support for the government.
    The government is backing the rebels = the rebel-backing government.
    The rebels are backing the government = the government is backed by the rebels = the rebel-backed government.

Mina_

Turkish
    Rebel-backed is correct if you want to say that the rebels are the source of support for the government.
    The government is backing the rebels = the rebel-backing government.
    The rebels are backing the government = the government is backed by the rebels = the rebel-backed government.
    Thank you so much for your help:)

< Previous | Next >