rebel by religion

< Previous | Next >

adrinalino

holland
Vorrei far stampare un maglietta con il testo : rebellious by religion tradotto in Italiano. Mi potreste aiutare ?

Il mio tentativo è : ribelle come religione , ma non suona bene.

Grazie in anticipo,

Adriano.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Just to help our Italian friends, the use of "religion" in this context is not uncommon in AE,
    and it just means that something "is extremely important to me" a "major part of my life" or "an inherent part of me".
    Examples:
    Soccer is my life, but Inter is my religion.
    One should use white wine to wash one's mouth out before drinking Brunello - my religion.
    Though Atilla grew up in a nice middle-class home, around 440AD a certain rebelliousness became his religion.
    and on and on...
    Though I am nice by nature, I'm contrary by religion.

london calling

UK English
    Just to help our Italian friends, the use of "religion" in this context is not uncommon in AE,
    and it just means that something "is extremely important to me" a "major part of my life" or "an inherent part of me".
    Yes, Tim, it's the same in BE.

However, I think I'd have written " a rebel by nature/natural-born rebel" in English on a tee-shirt ( meaning it's an inherent part of me ) and that, translated, would be something like "nato ribelle". What do you think, people?

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Examples:
    Soccer is my life, but Inter is my religion.
    One should use white wine to wash one's mouth out before drinking Brunello - my religion.
    Though Atilla grew up in a nice middle-class home, around 440AD a certain rebelliousness became his religion.
    and on and on...
    Hi Tim!
    I think in these cases we'd use 'il mio credo' or 'la mia fede'. But you have to change the construction of the English phrase.
    Could it be 'ribelle per vocazione' the expression adrinalino is looking for?

Last edited:

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi Tim!
    I think in these cases we'd use 'il mio credo' or 'la mia fede'. But you have to change the construction of the English phrase.
    Could it be 'ribelle per vocazione' the expression adrinalino is looking for?
    Hey guy!:)

When you use "my religion" or "by religion" in this context, it means that it's truly an important part of you.
    So I really don't know, but I think "vocazione" works in Italian, because it is heavily used in a religous context, so it just sounds like it has the same importance as "religion" might in English.
    To me, "vocazione" is a false friend, because it is not "vocation" (a job, profession) but rather "a calling" - a "religous calling".

< Previous | Next >