recadrer quelqu'un

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by pavlik, Aug 29, 2010.

  1. pavlik New Member

    How would you translate or interpret 'recadrer une personne ou qhelqu'un'? I know the meaning but I would like the closest interpretation in English, would 'put someone in his place' work? Is there a more elegant or effective term? Thanks, Pavlik.
  2. livvie Senior Member

    Gibraltar, English
    I, too would be interested in the answer to this question.

    I would usually use 'refocus' for recadrage/recadrer but in my present context it is referring to an 'Entretien de Recadrage', more specifically, with an employee who has committed an error/fault. The employee will probably get ' a dressing down' but I don't believe any disciplinary action is to be taken.

    Like Pavlik I would like to find a more elegant, effective term!

  3. catay Senior Member

    Canada anglais
    The term that I am familiar with here is "disciplinary interview," the first step an employer takes to deal with inappropriate behaviour or problems with the performance of duties. It doesn't necessarily result in disciplinary action, but gives the employee an opportunity to change their behaviour or improve their performance.
  4. pbchloe Senior Member

    Vallauris, France
    English - USA
    context: "méfie-toi de l'énarque et n'hésite pas à le recadrer"

    (Le Monde Magazine 23/10/2010)

    here the verb recadrer is clearly argot and in my opinion would be translated: "straighten him out" or "put him in his place." An énarque (sometimes written ENArque) is a student or graduate of the prestigious ENA ( Ecole Nationale d'Administration), a degree from which usually gives the holder a lot of status, and sometimes what we call in the US "attitude".
  5. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

    French from France
    The problem with catay's suggestion is that "recadrer" is a verb, unlike "disciplinary interview". Any other ideas ?
  6. catay Senior Member

    Canada anglais
    The suggestion "disciplinary interview" was in response to Livvie's question in post #2. :)
  7. ninikrakra Member

    France, French and English
    hello!I don't know the answer to the initial question but I just wanted to say that "recadrer" is not "argot" (slang). It is very commonly used in psychology, human ressources, education, etc.
  8. pbchloe Senior Member

    Vallauris, France
    English - USA
    Hi Ninirakra!

    Thanks for the nuance. If it's not slang in this context, can you help me translate the following ? "méfie-toi de l'énarque et n'hésite pas à le recadrer"

    (Le Monde Magazine 23/10/2010)
  9. ninikrakra Member

    France, French and English
    I think your initial attempt was quite right (to straighten out, put (back?) in place). In French I would say "remettra à sa place", seeing what I grasp of the context of your sentence (the attitude giving énarque!).
    However, in other situations, le "recadrage" could be reminding the person of the context (le "cadre" thérapeutique ou professionnel, for example, or the time and place, the nature of the relationship, etc.) to stress that his/her behaviour is "out of context".
    But maybe a native English speaker could give us some ideas of other expressions to use?
  10. Youbee Member

    English - England
    Looking at one context for this expression I think the original translation (Put someone in their place) would work well where I read it. In the workplace you could use the same expression but it would be more like an informal disciplinary, giving someone a chance to mend their ways before more formal action is taken.
  11. pbchloe Senior Member

    Vallauris, France
    English - USA
    So in a work situation, intended to be helpful not insulting, would you say something like "we need to clarify his/her job description, responsibilities, or code of behavior?"
  12. Gerard Samuel Senior Member

    New York City
    American English
    How about:

    recadrer = to rein in

    If someone wanders off message, you have to rein him in.
  13. pbchloe Senior Member

    Vallauris, France
    English - USA
    cool. that's a lot more relaxed. Thanx.
  14. Pmouns New Member

    France, English
    Figaro headline 11/7/13 - 'Gaz de schiste : Jean-Marc Ayrault recardre Arnaud Montembourg.'
  15. OlieL New Member

    Would people consider the phrase "put him back in his box" to be too slangy? It would otherwise seem an appropriate translation of the concept of "re-framing".

Share This Page