receive a Ph.D. degree and follow a course of graduate level study

i14d14

Chinese
so i came across this when reading Abnormal Psychology An Integrative Approach 7ed [2014]

The Science of Psychopathology
Psychopathology is the scientific study of psychological disorders.
Within this field are specially trained professionals, including clinical
and counseling psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric social
workers, and psychiatric nurses, as well as marriage and family therapists
and mental health counselors. Clinical psychologists and counseling
psychologists receive the Ph.D. degree (or sometimes an Ed.D.,
doctor of education, or Psy.D., doctor of psychology) and follow a
course of graduate-level study lasting approximately 5 years
, which
prepares them to conduct research into the causes and treatment
of psychological disorders and to diagnose, assess, and treat these
disorders.

i don't get it, from my understanding a graduate level study should be something like master degree level study, and it comes before you receive a Ph.D.

why would the author say that one would follow a graduate level study after he/she receives a Ph.D. degree?

what's the part that i misunderstood?

• Juhasz

English - United States
    The sentence is a little strangely written. The idea is not that a student receives his or her Ph.D. and then studies in graduate school for five years. What the author really means is that the student will study in graduate school for five years in order to receive his or her Ph.D.

from my understanding a graduate level study should be something like master degree level study, and it comes before you receive a Ph.D.
    That's almost correct. Graduate-level programs include master's programs and Ph.D. programs; put differently, both masters students and Ph.D. students attend graduate school.

Andygc

British English
    It's nothing more than very badly written text. You are perfectly correct to expect the five years of study to come before the students gain their higher degrees, but that's not what the text says.

(I've yet to meet a psychiatric social worker who would see him or herself as being engaged in the scientific study of psychological disorders. I'll ask my daughter next time I see her.)

< Previous | Next >