Receive/Get/Have/Welcome

srknpower

Turkish
Hello, which words can I use among “receive, welcome, get and have” to mean that somebody will stay at my home.

I will receive my best friend Paul at my home.
I will have my best my friend Paul at my home.
I will get my best friend Paul at my home.
I will welcome my best friend Paul at my home.

• Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Hello, which words can I use among “receive, welcome, get and have” to mean that somebody will stay at my home

I will get my best friend Paul at my home.
    I will welcome my best friend Paul at my home.
    1, 2 and 4 are correct, but none signifies that Paul is staying overnight.
    ‘I will have Paul (over) to stay at my home’ seems to be the phrase you need.

srknpower

Turkish
    1, 2 and 4 are correct, but none signifies that Paul is staying overnight.
    ‘I will have Paul (over) to stay at my home’ seems to be the phrase you need.
    Thank you, but once while watching a video I saw a native English speaker saying “Thanks for having me.” while he was on holiday and staying at somebody else’s home?

london calling

UK English
    Thank you, but once while watching a video I saw a native English speaker saying “Thanks for having me.” while he was on holiday and staying at somebody else’s home?
    A common way of thanking someone in this context.

I don't think any of your sentences fit the context (and no. 3 is incorrect anyway). I'd say: "Paul is coming to stay with me".

This sounds excessively formal.

This is not particularly idiomatic.

I will get my best friend Paul at my home.:cross:

Incorrect.

I will welcome my best friend Paul at to my home.

Yes, but it sounds a little formal and we don't know how long he will be staying. Maybe just for dinner, maybe overnight.

srknpower

Turkish

I don't think any of your sentences fit the context (and no. 3 is incorrect anyway). I'd say: "Paul is coming to stay with me".

This sounds excessively formal.

This is not particularly idiomatic.

I will get my best friend Paul at my home.:cross:

Incorrect.

I will welcome my best friend Paul at to my home.

Yes, but it sounds a little formal and we don't know how long he will be staying. Maybe just for dinner, maybe overnight.
    Okay thank you but for example what if he will stay for 30 days at my home? (Assume that I am in Turkey, he will be coming from Thailand.) I want to convey the idea that he will stay at my home and I will take care of his needs for 30 days.

And also for example a sentence like “Thanks Serkan for having me at your home.”(Paul is saying this.) after his holiday would be logical?

london calling

UK English
    Okay thank you but for example what if he will stay for 30 days at my home? (Assume that I am in Turkey, he will be coming from Thailand.) I want to convey the idea that he will stay at my home and I will take care of his needs for 30 days.

And also for example a sentence like “Thanks Serkan for having me at your home.”(Paul is saying this.) after his holiday would be logical?
    Please see what I said above:
    ---------
    I'd say: "Paul is coming to stay with me".
    1. "Paul is coming to stay with me".
    2. Paul: "Thanks for having me' is more idiomatic/natural than your suggestion.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Please note that, although the guest says ‘thank you for having me’, the host does not say ‘I am having Paul’. The language does not work like that.

< Previous | Next >