Received note in Korean

< Previous | Next >

thekleezy

English
So just earlier this afternoon when returning back to my dorm room (i'm a college student) I found a note cracked in my door. I did a little research and found out that it was written in Korean. I'm very curious of what it says, so if anyone could it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1117 (2).jpg

• RadkeRonnie

English - USA
    I'm note native, but here's what I think it means.

Hongnakji (name?) You're alive, right? Don't you miss me? I know about everything hahaha. I miss you too. I want to go to McDonald's with you. (The handwriting is bad at the last part, so I can't figure out what it means, but it means "[something] with you." and it seems to be related to going somewhere or some kind of movement.)

Jeong Serin

It seems like it was meant for someone else.

Question for people who know: is the 제 verb ending a dialect of 지?

thekleezy

English
    Yeah it must have been meant for someone else! I was so curious of what it meant! Thank you for the response. I actually became a little more interested in the Korean language after this incident. Thanks for the help.

Kross

Korean
    Hongnakji (name?)
    I think 홍낙찌 here might be a nickname for the intended recipient of the note. The word seems to be made of 홍(family name) plus 낙지 (small octopus). That fish(mollusks) probably reflects a physical characteristic of the recipient in a sense. This is my own thought, and some people could speculate differently.

Question for people who know: is the 제 verb ending a dialect of 지?
    In response to my question, 국어국립원(the government-run body that defines the Korean language) answers that it is difficult for them to confirm if the use of ~있제 is a dialect because there is no relevant information in their dictionary database.

(source: https://twitter.com/urimal365/status/455917193016791040 )

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >