reckoning

< Previous | Next >

englishelp

Chinese
Hi, I am having trouble understanding the word 'reckoning' in the following context.

This is a news Editorial from Singapore's Straits Times dated September 2, 08 on "Russia starts to define new strategic calculus":

THE Russian co-leaders, President Dmitri Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, are talking tough despite Moscow facing ostracism over its independence support for two Georgian secessionist regions. Mr Medvedev on Sunday reiterated Russia's rejection of a post-Cold War unipolar reckoning, with the United States as the force superior, and lay claim to a strategic sphere of influence. This, he said, would be in the Russian border region where ex-Soviet republics were located, 'but not only'.
A check with Oxford Advanced Leaner' Dictionary shows "reckoning" to have the following meanings:

1) the act of calculating <... something ...>, especially in a way that is not very exact

2) a time when <... somebody ...>'s actions will be judged to be right or wrong and they may be punished.

Neither of these two definitions seems to fit this context.

My wild guess is that it means something akin to "status quo".

What do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ewie

English English
    Hi Enghelp. Yes, I would say status quo is a pretty good synonym for it there; state of affairs is another possibility, but I prefer yours as it's more precise.

Last edited:

Elwintee

England English
    Hi, I am having trouble understanding the word 'reckoning' in the following context.

This is a news Editorial from Singapore's Straits Times dated September 2, 08 on "Russia starts to define new strategic calculus":

A check with Oxford Advanced Leaner' Dictionary shows "reckoning" to have the following meanings:

1) the act of calculating <... something ...>, especially in a way that is not very exact

2) a time when <... somebody ...>'s actions will be judged to be right or wrong and they may be punished.

Neither of these two definitions seems to fit this context.

My wild guess is that it means something akin to "status quo".

What do you think?

Thanks!
    The meaning I'm used to in this sort of context is (from Chambers English Dictionary) "settlement of accounts", "judgment". We talk of the final reckoning, as when one has struggled and either won or lost. Maybe this is more a BE than an AE definition.

< Previous | Next >