recliner vs. chaise lounge

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
The reclining chairs normally we see by the lake or on the beaches that people can lie on them are "recliners" or "chaise lounges"? Thank you!

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    At beaches or poolsides, I would say deckchairs.
    images

'Chaise lounges' sounds wrong, but I believe it is AmE from 'Chaise longue' (derived from French to mean long chair),and an alternative term for deckchair. For me, a 'chaise longue' is an elegant piece of furniture.
    images

I might use 'recliner' for the article of furniture that reclines and found indoors.
    images

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    At beaches or poolsides, I would say deckchairs.
    images
    It looks like "deckchair" is what I am looking for. But can I use it in any location, even not by the lakes or poolsides or beach, as long as the same shape of chair? Can I use 'reclining chair'?

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    By entering any of these words, you can see examples of different names in BE (amazon.co.uk) and AE (amazon.com). This includes chaise longue.
    Nothing in the pictures above resembles a deckchair.

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    By entering any of these words, you can see examples of different names in BE (amazon.co.uk) and AE (amazon.com). This includes chaise longue.
    Nothing in the pictures above resembles a deckchair.
    Thank you, e2efour.
    But Adironback chair resembles a deckchait. Which one is more common seen by the lakes and on beaches?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In the UK, and much of Europe, these are deckchairs and are found on beaches:

LTwo-deck-chairs-and-boat.jpg

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    In the UK, and much of Europe, these are deckchairs and are found on beaches:
    LTwo-deck-chairs-and-boat.jpg
    Thank you, PaulQ.
    In general speaking, can I use "reclining chair" for both indoors and outdoors. For instance, I like lying on the reclining chair when leisure time.