Recognize the good points in your spouse and give many compliments.

swayingrass

Banned
Taiwanese
Recognize the good points in your spouse and give many compliments.

Hi,
Is "points" in the above optional? If not, does it make a change in meaning if deleted? Thanks.

• Unknoewn13

English - American
    hIt can be deleted, and I would say the sentences with or without it are nearly identical. The only difference I might note is that including "points" suggests there are specific things about your spouse that are good, while omitting it and simply saying "recognize the good" means you should note the general goodness in him or her, not paying attention to specificities.

El escoces

English - UK
    That's an excellent question, swayingrass.

In some contexts it would be better without: we frequently talk in English about seeing/recognising/pointing out the good (or the bad) in people, and by that we mean their good or bad points/qualities/characteristics. "She always saw the good in her neighbours and rarely recognised the bad".

But...in the context you supplied, "good points" is probably better. You are not talking about recognising virtues in your spouse as much as the little things you like about her: she always buys your favourite beer, she rubs your feet when you're tired, things like that. (I apologise if I confuse you by using British English spelling: recognise in British English, recognize in American English.)

One other suggestion: I would say "and give her many compliments".

< Previous | Next >