recomendar - Te recomiendo ver esa película

Maga19

Spain, Spanish
Hi,
Please, I need your help. I've got a huge problem with this verb and I can't find a clear answer in previous threads.
Te recomiendo ver esa película= 1. I recommend you to watch that film. 2. I recommend you watching that film.
I know that ' I recommend that you watch that film' is correct, but what about 1 and 2?
Thanks a lot in advance.

• The Newt

English - US
    "I recommend you to watch that film" makes it sound like you're nominating someone for the position of watching the film. "I recommend you watching" isn't correct; "I recommend your watching" is arguably correct, but it's a bit inelegant.

Ferrol

Spanish.España
    I (would) recommend you watch the film (consejo firme)
    I (would) recommend that you should watch the film (sugerencia menos firme)

Maga19

Spain, Spanish
    Thank you. In that case...
    I recommend she watch?/watches? the film AND I would recommend her to watch the film?

The Newt

English - US
    Thank you. In that case...
    I recommend she watch?/watches? the film AND I would recommend her to watch the film?
    I would not use "I would recommend her to watch the film" at all. "I recommend she watch..." is how I would say it, but some speakers in some regions may drop the subjective and say "I recommend she watches..."

fenixpollo

American English
    I (would) recommend her watch the film. :cross:
    This is not correct. The object that follows "recommend" is the direct object, the thing you are recommending. If you say "I recommend her", you are not recommending something to her, you are recommending her. For example: I recommend her for this job.

I recommend that she watch the film. = Le recomiendo que vea la película.

Te recomiendo ver esa película. = I recommend that you watch that film.

Last edited:

Spellman

English - U.S.
    I would just say one of these just cause they're more natural in everyday speech, at least where I'm from:

"You HAVE to watch that movie/film!"
    "You should watch it!"
    "Watch it; you'll like it."

But if you absolutely have to use a verb:

"I highly recommend it!"
    "I recommend it!"
    "I suggest you watch it!"
    "I think you should watch it!"

Ferrol

Spanish.España
    This is not correct. The object the follows "recommend" is the direct object, the thing you are recommending. If you say "I recommend her", you are not recommending something to her, you are recommending her. For example: I recommend her for this job.

I recommend that she watch the film. = Le recomiendo que vea la película.

Te recomiendo ver esa película. = I recommend that you watch that film.
    Gracias por la corrección
    Saludos

< Previous | Next >