Recommend

< Previous | Next >

EnLearner

Spanish
Hello

Could you please let me know whether I'm supposed to use "need" or "needed" in the following sentence?

"My friend recommended that I needed to take that course."

Thanks

• EnLearner

Spanish
    I think "needed" is the correct answer, but I'm in doubt whether we need to use the base form of verb after recommend or not like the one we do for "let"; Example:"Yesterday he let me go (not went) there"

Thanks

Tazzler

American English
    "need" isn't compatible with "recommend." What I mean is that it doesn't make sense to recommend to someone that he need to do something. Do you mean "he told me" or something like that?

EnLearner

Spanish
    "need" isn't compatible with "recommend." What I mean is that it doesn't make sense to recommend to someone that he need to do something. Do you mean "he told me" or something like that?
    "I recommend that you should get course X." How would you say if I had this recommendation in the past; I recommended...?
    Though I know I can say "I recommended getting course X", I'm curious to know whether I can say it it this structure ->"I recommended that..."?

Thanks

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I recommended that he should take biology -- but he didn't and now he doesn't know his birds from his bees.

< Previous | Next >