recommendation <:> NOT to do something [comma or colon]

< Previous | Next >

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
Situation: Jennifer is talking to Sheila.
Jennifer: You shouldn’t insist on the idea of being Peter's girlfriend. He is not in love with you.

I believe that both explanations are correct. Which one is better "a" or "b"?
a) Jennifer is expressing a recommendation: NOT to do something to Sheila, as is indicated by "shouldn't".
b) Jennifer is expressing a recommendation, NOT to do something to Sheila, as is indicated by "shouldn't".

Thanks in advance.

• spilorrific

English - US
    Sorry, Tenacious Learner...
    I am so distracted by the word "explanation" and by the wording of your two possibilities that I can't focus on the punctuation. Maybe someone else can help.

Jennifer is recommending to Sheila that Sheila NOT do something, as indicated by "shouldn't."

I would cut "is expressing a recommendation" and just use "is recommending."

Last edited:

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi again,
    I understand that this one is correct "Jennifer is recommending to Sheila that Sheila NOT do something, as indicated by "shouldn't."
    What about this one "Jennifer is recommending to Sheila what NOT to do, as is indicated by "shouldn't"?

TL

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If you want Sheila to be the direct object of a verb, then recommend is the wrong verb. Try advise: "Jennifer is advising Sheila what NOT to do, as is indicated by "shouldn't".

< Previous | Next >