recommendation to?

< Previous | Next >

zli001

Chinese
Today I read this sentence from news:
"The McMath family protested the hospital’s recommendation to unplug her ventilator after doctors found an irreversible cessation of all brain activity."
But according to dictionary, it should be recommendation (to somebody) (for/on/about something), not to.

Therefore I think the correct way should be:
The McMath family protested the hospital’s recommendation for unplugging her ventilator after doctors found an irreversible cessation of all brain activity.

But I searched the web, I do find some others use “to” after recommendation as well, like this one:
A local company who applied for a technology contract with the Okaloosa County School District will appeal a recommendation to use another company.

So here is my question: Is it correct to use “to” after the word “recommendation”?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • pops91710

English, AE
    Your dictionary must not be compiled and published by native speakers of English. I see no problem with using to in the original sentence. Note however, that you have changed to unplug to for unplugging, which changes the usage of for and to. So, maybe that's why you are confused.

the hospital’s recommendation to unplug :tick:
    the hospital’s recommendation for unplug :cross:
    the hospital’s recommendation for unplugging:tick:

zli001

Chinese
    Thanks, everyone! Glad to meet you all here! So how do I understand this in grammar. Can I think this way: "to unplug her ventilator" is a prepositional phrase which describes the noun recommendation?

< Previous | Next >