reconcile/match the baggage with the passengers?

shiningstar

turkish
Hi,

I'm trying to write that after some processes, baggage will be matched/reconciled with the passengers. Now, I'm confused as to what I should use for the matching activity because the subject is "Baggage Reconciliation System". Should I use "reconcile" or does "match" sound better?

Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    You could say 'returned to', which is simpler and more natural, but as the subject (subject of what?) mentions reconciliation, I'd say it's probably wise to talk about baggage being reconciled with the passengers.

shiningstar

turkish
    Subject of a tender actually. They describe the technical specifications of the system. So, it doesn't sound weird if I use "reconcile" here, right?

EStjarn

Spanish
    Should I use "reconcile" or does "match" sound better?
    Hi shiningstar,

I think the choice depends on who your reader is. 'Match' is easier for the average person to understand, while 'reconcile' may be more in line with airline vernacular: The system ensures that baggage and passengers match. The system ensures that baggage and passengers reconcile.

Background: The meaning of 'reconcile' should be something like 'become consistent' as in The figures [numbers] would not reconcile. From Wikipedia:

Making sure passengers board flights onto which they have checked baggage is called "passenger-baggage reconciliation" and is accomplished automatically through two commercially available systems.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I wouldn't use it, even if the system is called "Baggage Reconciliation". I'd say something like "baggage will be returned to the proper passengers".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I wouldn't use it, even if the system is called "Baggage Reconciliation". I'd say something like "baggage will be returned to the proper passengers".
    But that is not the point.
    The purpose of the system, as I understand shiningstar's posts, is to ensure that the baggage loaded is consistent with the passengers travelling.
    This is a process of reconciliation, not of returning baggage to the proper passengers - and in that specific context, reconcile is the term I would use. It is much better than "match".

It would, typically, involve checking all of the baggage on the flight - is it the baggage of a passenger who has boarded?
    And it includes checking all the passengers on the flight - is all of their baggage loaded on the plane?

Last edited:

EStjarn

Spanish
    I'd say something like "baggage will be returned to the proper passengers".
    My understanding is that a baggage reconciliation system has very little to do with returning baggage. It's a security measure performed before takeoff. Further from the Wikipedia article:

The security presumption of passenger-baggage reconciliation is that terrorists will not want to kill themselves, and will not board an aircraft if they have caused a bomb to be placed in its hold. This presumption does not hold true of suicide bombers. Unaccompanied suitcases led to the downing of two flights [in 1985 and 1988], when a bomb inside the suitcase exploded...

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Given the title "Baggage Reconciliation System" and the intent (as per Panj and EJS) then the phrase would be, “reconciling the passenger-bookings with the amount of checked-in baggage.”

(“Reconciling passengers with their baggage” sounds more like a job for a social worker. :))

shiningstar

turkish
    But that is not the point.
    The purpose of the system, as I understand shiningstar's posts, is to ensure that the baggage loaded is consistent with the passengers travelling.
    This is a process of reconciliation, not of returning baggage to the proper passengers - and in that specific context, reconcile is the term I would use. It is much better than "match".

It would, typically, involve checking all of the baggage on the flight - is it the baggage of a passenger who has boarded?
    And it includes checking all the passengers on the flight - is all of their baggage loaded on the plane?
    Exactly. They define the system in detail and since it's a part of technical specifications for EDS system to be installed in two airports, I have to choose the right term. As I understand from the posts, "reconcile" is the right term to use.

Thanks a lot :)

< Previous | Next >