reconcile~!!!

gimhee

Korean
When I did get pregnant, somewhat unexpectedly, I struggled with reconciling the self that I knew (career driven, hard working) that was being overtaken by the version of me that the public now perceived (over-tired, family-focused).

does the underlined part modify "the self that I knew" ? and what does reconcile mean in this sentence?

thanks for reading~!!

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/dont-expect-dinner/?_php=true&_type=blogs&module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog Main&contentCollection=U.S.&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body&_r=0

• Wordnip

British English
    It seems to me that the sentence is poorly worded. I would prefer it to say (or mean) something like this: "... I struggled to reconcile the self that I knew, career driven, hard working, with my new over-tired, family-focused version "

Here, to reconcile means to make the two aspects of herself agree or be compatible with one another.

gimhee

Korean
    It seems to me that the sentence is poorly worded. I would prefer it to say (or mean) something like this: "... I struggled to reconcile the self that I knew, career driven, hard working, with my new over-tired, family-focused version "

Here, to reconcile means to make the two aspects of herself agree or be compatible with one another.
    thank you so much for your reply~!

< Previous | Next >