reconcile

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
This girl always use John as a spare. When she argues with her boyfiend, she will look for John to date. As soon as she reconciles with her boyfriend, she will dump John.

Is my use of "reconcile" correct in the context above? Thank you!

• jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Yes, it is. (She doesn't sound like a very nice person.)
    Thank you Egmont.
    1) She reconciled with her boyfriend.
    2) She reconciled her boyfriend.
    3) She was reconciled to her boyfriend.

Are they all correct? If so, which one is most common?

suzi br

English / England
    Thank you Egmont.
    1) She reconciled with her boyfriend.
    2) She reconciled her boyfriend.
    3) She was reconciled to her boyfriend.

Are they all correct? If so, which one is most common?
    Only the first is correct in your context. The other two mean different things.

suzi br

English / England
    Thank you Suzi.
    But what do those two "reconcile someone" and "be reconciled to someone" mean? Thank you.
    I don't think you CAN reconcile someone. You can reconcile your accounts.
    To be reconciled TO somone (or something) usually needs a bit more detail. e.g. She was reconciled to her boyfriend and his lack of personality.
    It usually denotes putting up with a drawback to something.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    "reconcile" sounds to me like an unusual way of saying "makes up with" (or maybe "gets back together with"). I can't think offhand of a one-word synonym...but I'm sure someone else will :D!

suzi br

English / England
    I agree with "ain'ttranslation." In this case, being "reconciled to" her boyfriend would mean she "made up with her boyfriend."
    I really don't. In the UK at least, you reconcile WITH someone, as in the O.P.
    Reconcile TO is different. Our own dictionary's first definition says:
    to cause (a person) to accept or be resigned to something not desired:[~ + object + to + object]He was reconciled to his fate.

spilorrific

English - US
    Sorry... What I meant was "reconciled with" could mean "made up with." I was not trying to introduce the difference between "reconcile to" and "reconcile with." Forgive me, suzi br. Like "ain'ttranslationfun?" I cannot come up with a one-word synonym for this term.

suzi br

English / England
    Sorry... What I meant was "reconciled with" could mean "made up with." I was not trying to introduce the difference between "reconcile to" and "reconcile with." Forgive me, suzi br. Like "ain'ttranslationfun?" I cannot come up with a one-word synonym for this term.
    :thumbsup:
    Cool, thanks for clarifying that.

< Previous | Next >