record for longest nine-inning game

JenniferA

Banned
Japanese
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/21/sports/sp-vision21 is the source.

"Sunday's Game 2 surpassed that by 13 minutes, and surely would have threatened the World Series record for longest nine-inning game -- 4:14 -- if not for Angel rookie reliever Rodriguez, just a 20-year-old kid with places to be and people to meet and no time to spare dawdling on the mound."

Since "game" is countable, shouldn't there be some article between "record for" and "longest nine-inning game"?

• grubble

British English
    http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/21/sports/sp-vision21 is the source.

"Sunday's Game 2 surpassed that by 13 minutes, and surely would have threatened the World Series record for longest nine-inning game -- 4:14 -- if not for Angel rookie reliever Rodriguez, just a 20-year-old kid with places to be and people to meet and no time to spare dawdling on the mound."
    You can read this as "...the World Series record for 'Longest Nine-Inning Game'..."

Example

He has the record for "Most Apples Eaten in a Minute"

The idea is that each record has its own proper name.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Maybe, but to me this sort of thing reads as "record for 'longest nine-inning game'." In other words, in the record-book you would look under the heading "Longest Nine-Inning Game" and see this game. If you look, for instance, through news results for "set the record for," you'll see that usage is a mixed bag.

Edit: cross-post, but we clearly agree.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    No, because that makes it sound like Team X is a game. You could say "Team X just passed Team Y for most-overrated team," or "Team X just passed Team Y for having the longest game."

And for what it's worth, I regard this as a somewhat informal style of writing.

Matching Mole

England, English
    Not necessarily, if you consider "longest nine-inning game" to be the title for a particular record, rather than a simple description. You may find this construction with the title in quotes, and/or capitalized:

Apple as a company was declared "World's Most Admired Company"

Even though the record in the text may be informally declared, it is still being regarded in that sense.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I would say ....record for the longest nine-innings game /the World record for being the tallest.../ a record for the "Best in Show"

I see previous posts disagree:(

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >