1. CulDeSac

CulDeSac Senior Member

North-west Italy
    English (UK)
    Greetings,

Attempting to work my way through a French publication's advertising rate card, and baffled by the following listing:

"recto 1er cahier"

So far I have deciphered that cahiers are a number of printed folded-over sheets, several of which when combined and glued, make up the individual pages of the magazine. So this would refer to the first such block.

The recto, referring to the reverse side of each page, possibly, of this first block?

But what might be the equivalent expression on an english advertising rate card?

Any help or opinion is as always, gratefully accepted.

Thanks

2. CulDeSac

CulDeSac Senior Member

North-west Italy
    English (UK)
    Might this be the equivalent term?

1st quarter full page, facing

Again, any help or opinion is gratefully accepted

3. Skarloc New Member

English - England
    Unfortunately, I cannot give you a precise translation, but I can explain what a "cahier" is in printing terms.

When printing plates are produced, they are generally for a number of sheets of paper (12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96 are common sizes). For the example of 48 sheets (it's the size we most often used in the printing firm I worked for), this means that, for the first plate, half of the pages 1-96 are printed (it's not recto or verso because, once printed, the paper is folder before cutting). When both sides of the paper is printed, the 2 plates print the pages 1-96 of the book. The second pair of plate print the pages 97-192 and so on and so forth.

So as not to change the plates all the time (it can take up to 10 minutes, including alignment), lots of the pages 1-96 are printed followed by lots of the pages 97-192 etc.

A block of the pages 1-96 is called "un cahier". Thus the first "cahier" contains the pages 1-96, the second contains 97-192 etc.

If you have 64 pages per plate, the first cahier will have the pages 1-128 and the second 129-256.

It should be noted that the cahiers are often produced from back to front (ie the last cahier is printed first) so that the assembly machines can be loaded more quickly (although this may have depended on the machines we were using).

I hope this helps in understanding - I'm sorry I only worked for a printing firm in France...