Rector (Universidad)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by cm7, Nov 16, 2007.

  1. cm7

    cm7 Member

    Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Rector o President

    Hola a todos. Estoy haciendo una traducción de español a inglés de un documento de una universidad y al buscar la traducción de Rector veo que en el ámbito universitario de EEUU usan estas 4 expresiones. En mi pais la direccion o cabeza de una univeridad recae en una persona que se encarga de lo administrativo y lo academico. Cual termino uso entonces porque debo traducirlo al inglés? Gracias.
  2. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Bueno, desde ya creo que no sería "Vice-Chancellor" (Vice-rector).

    Yo siempre lo he traducido como "Chancellor". Una sugerencia: ¿Es para una Universidad de EEUU? Porque podrìas entrar a la página web y ver cómo denominan ellos esa figura académica.

    Espero haberte ayudado. Saludos.
  3. When the cat's away... Senior Member

    Spain - English
    Curioso que "Rector" en inglés britanico tiende a ser "Parroco" o "Cura"
  4. Lirio* New Member

    Rector: ummmm... pienso que seria lo mismo! no? :) RECTOR=RECTOR?
  5. Kimiwasinjapan Member

    Spanish- Peru
    it could be President
  6. When the cat's away... Senior Member

    Spain - English
    :confused:In which country does "Rector" mean president?
  7. Kimiwasinjapan Member

    Spanish- Peru
    I check some web pages about universities in the USA and appears the word "President" meanwhile i found the term "rector" in British web pages.
    Also, i was translating a diploma of professional degree at university , and i was told it is better to use "President".
    Let me know if im wrong please :)
  8. Madelonga Member

    Hello When the cat's away:

    If you go to several universities website including Harvard "el Rector" is the president and el decano de cada facultad es Dean. So I believe Kimiwasinjapan is right.
    The Rector is the highest academic official of many universities but the title is only use in Europe, including Albania, the Benelux, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, the Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Scandinavia, Scotland, Serbia, Spain, Turkey and Ukraine. It is also very common in Latin American countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela, and also in Philippines, Indonesia and Israel. So if your document is from United States is better to use President
  9. cuadriga72 Member

    U.S.A. - California
    Spanish - Spain
    I just wanted to add that in the U.S. both Chancellor and President are used, but as different positions. For example:

    The California State University System has many campuses in the State of California.
    The Chancellor is the position used to describe the person in charge of the whole California State University System.
    The President is the person in charge of one individual campus.

    Hope it makes sense!

  10. angelik18 Member

    Mexican Spanish
    WOW... now this is information.... thank you, this was really helpful
  11. MDRN Member

    Spanish, México
    Hello hoping be helpful I had professionally translated a document and they did it like this:

  12. cuadriga72 Member

    U.S.A. - California
    Spanish - Spain

    Really, MDRN? Well, I always thought:


    Hmm... :)
  13. Eugin

    Eugin Senior Member

    Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    yes, I agree with cuadriga: I don´t think MDRN is right since "Dean" is Decano and "Chancellor" is the Rector de una universidad.
  14. MDRN Member

    Spanish, México
    hi guys
    I've seen this in official documents, here's a link:


    Definition: The head or presiding officer in the faculty of some colleges or universities.
  15. latinoamazonico New Member

    Colombian Spanish
    Hello, I've read a lot of web pages and the right word is president.
  16. Dr Z Senior Member

    Spanish, Spain
    My two Cents:

    Most of the Universities in the world have a Rector (also called Rector Magnificus) as its chief academic officer, that in Spanish would be a Rector (or Rector Magnifico).

    Most of the Universities in the Commonwealth of Nations have a Chancellor as the Chief Ceremonial Position (usually related to the windosr family, local authorities, or the church) and a Vice Chancellor as a Chief Academic Officer, In Spanish it would be Canciller and Vice Canciller

    Many important universities in some countries (US, Germany) have a President as its Chief Academic Officer, in Spanish Presidente.

    If it where as simple as that one could do a one on one translation or an equivalents but:

    Many Universities in Europe (ie: Netherlands) have a Rector, Chief Academic Officer, and a President, Chief Executive Officer.

    Many Universities around the world (specially if they are related to the Catholic Church) Have a Rector Chief Academic and Executive Officer, and A Chancellor, or even a Vice Chancellor, as ceremonial positions (for example Deusto the Rector is Prof. Jaime Oraá PhD SJ, the Vice Chancellor is Fr. Jesús María Eguíluz Ortuzar, SJ and the Chancellor is Rev. Fr. Adolfo Nicolas Pachon SJ)

    Therefore and due to this examples of exchangeable titles the best thing is always one on one translation.
  17. javierserrano

    javierserrano Senior Member

    Bogotá D.C.
    Hi, everybody.

    Yale, Harvard and Rice call this position as President.

    Another term that you may find is Provost. However, this is more common in the UK to name the head in certain university colleges and public schools as opposed to the US where this position refers to a senior administrative officer.

    Hope it helped!:)
  18. javierserrano

    javierserrano Senior Member

    Bogotá D.C.
    Hi there!

    I just came back to analyze this issue again. The point is that my translation now goes to the UK, so I had to read this thread again and do some research on the internet.

    I opened the Leeds University official website and found this.
    At Oxford University the structure is this.

    My conclusion is that after reading the governance structure of this two well-known and reputated universities in the UK, the translation for Rector in BrE is vice-chancellor, and vicerrector, Deputy Vice-Chancellor

    Best wishes!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  19. Dr Z Senior Member

    Spanish, Spain
    So again, if my univerity has a Chancellor, a Vice Chancellor and a Rector (if it is jesuitic it does).
  20. javierserrano

    javierserrano Senior Member

    Bogotá D.C.
    I don't know your particular case Dr Z.

    I'm just following the structure of two universities in Britain. The superior entities in these two cases are councils or committees, but the chief officer is called the Vice-Chancellor.

    Thanks anyway.
  21. Dr Z Senior Member

    Spanish, Spain
    Ye in England (not in Scotland) and most of the commonwealth countries the executives of a university are called Vice-chancellors.But in other countries (Spain,Latin America) the vice chancellor is a ceremonial position in many universities.Please look at my post above.
  22. Patinterpreter New Member


    I read the full thread and I would like to confirm that my conclusions are right. I am translating a certificate of degree of Bachelor of Engineering issued by an Indian University. I assume that they follow the British system and that is why I think that the right translation for Vice Chancellor is "Rector". Am I right or wrong? Besides, I have to translate in the same document the word "Registrar", which I think it is translated as "Secretario general". Could any one confirm these ends?

    Thank you
  23. evitap Senior Member

    I agree with Patinterprete's conclusions.
  24. Cenzontle

    Cenzontle Senior Member

    English, U.S.
    The same was true of Southern Illinois University's three campuses until 10 or 20 years ago, when the two titles were swapped.
    Today, the chancellor of each campus reports to the president of the system.
    My advice to you, cm7, is to use the term "rector" and let the reader deduce from the context that it's the highest-ranking officer.
    By the way, a "vice-XYZ" is by definition subordinate to an XYZ. So if you mean the highest officer, "vice-" will have no place in the translation.

Share This Page