Red coon

belano75

Spanish - Spain
Hi everybody,

What is a "red coon"? Does it have any other meaning in adittion to the literal one (red racoon)?

Unfortunatelly I have no context.

Thanks in advance!

• belano75

Spanish - Spain
    It came up in a conversation last week. Somebody asked if I knew the meaning of those words in English, but he didn't provide any context. I was curious and I did some research in the Internet, but I couldn't find anything about it, with the exception of literal "red racoon". At the weekend I asked him about it, he told me he found it in a pizza menu. Is it a kind of red pepper?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    An internet search will tell you that red coon is the name of a group of German electrical shops; a breed of a dog, and a brand of chewing tobacco.

There are thousands of pizza shops and no restriction on what you can call any pizza in any of them.

Myridon

English - US
    "Red coon" was not the name of a pizza, it was one of the ingredients in one of them.
    Where is this pizza place? What language do its owners speak? If he is speaking to you only, did you ask him to spell the word? Are you sure it's two words?
    (Racoon is generally not a pizza ingredient.)

belano75

Spanish - Spain
    It was in Germany. It was written in the menu (it was an English menu for tourists). Perhaps it was a wrong translation. Anyway, there is a company who sells electronic appliances online with this name and its symbol is a red pepper. Perhaps it has something to do.

Myridon

English - US
    It was in Germany. It was written in the menu (it was an English menu for tourists). Perhaps it was a wrong translation. Anyway, there is a company who sells electronic appliances online with this name and its symbol is a red pepper. Perhaps it has something to do.
    If you look at their website (which is in Germany), you'll see that they don't have stores in any English speaking countries even though the website is in English.

Packard

USA, English
    There are no "red racoons" as far as I know. There is a "Redbone Coonhound" and it is sometimes called a "red coonhound". It is not much of a stretch to call it a "red coon".

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbone_Coonhound

The Redbone Coonhound is an American breed of dog widely used for hunting bear, raccoon, and cougar...

Biffo

English - England
    There are no "red racoons" as far as I know. There is a "Redbone Coonhound" and it is sometimes called a "red coonhound". It is not much of a stretch to call it a "red coon".

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbone_Coonhound

The Redbone Coonhound is an American breed of dog widely used for hunting bear, raccoon, and cougar...
    I doubt that they imported dogs from the US to use in German pizzas for English tourists! :eek::D

Myridon

English - US
    I think that it may be a brand of cheese, it appears on this menu (American):
    It may be a typo. That dish is served with paste sauce. The chicken parmesan sub has "ow homemade marinara."

I doubt that they imported dogs from the US to use in German pizzas for English tourists! :eek::D
    That seems likely.
    The Australian Red Coon cheese looks to be the equivalent of mass-produced "American cheese" like on a BigMac. It comes in cheddar and Swiss flavors.
    Is it likely that they imported cheddar-flavored cheese from Australia to use in German pizzas for English tourists?

< Previous | Next >