redecorate in brain-matter grey

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
In a room of a house, a girl is threatening criminals, with a gun pointed at them:
— Lose the guns or I redecorate in brain-matter grey, got it?
Last Action Hero, film

Does the sentence work grammatically without an object of "redecorate"? Like, "redecorate the walls/room/etc"?
Thanks.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    The sentence works fine without the direct object.
    What are you and your wife up to lately?
    We're redecorating.
    It is assumed, in this instance, the house.
    It is assumed, in your sentence, the room they are in.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, but it's either fully intransitive, "redecorate", or, if you use a complement like "brain-matter grey", you need an object, don't you?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Just in case other readers aren't clear on this: if she had just said "I redecorate (the walls/room)", the whole sense would be lost and it would be a nonsensical non-sequitur. She's threatening to blow their brains out, and their brains would be splattered all over the walls. :eek:
    No, you don't need an object. "(Re)decorate" already contains the notion of painting the walls, ceiling, etc.
    decorate: (...) to paint the inside or outside of a house or put paper on the inside walls (Cambridge)

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Just in case other readers aren't clear on this: if she had just said "I redecorate (the walls/room)", the whole sense would be lost and it would be a nonsensical non-sequitur.
    But if you google "redecorated the house/room in", you'll get a lot of examples of them being redecorated in a certain style, fashion, etc:confused:

E.g., "President James Monroe redecorated the room in the French Empire style".

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Yes, but it's understood she's referring to the room they're in, so it doesn't have to be stated. If she blows their brains out, the gloop isn't going to splatter over the walls of the room upstairs, or downstairs, or next door.

< Previous | Next >