reduce it to our own smallness

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
Suddenly summoned to witness some thing great and horrendous, we keep fighting not to reduce it to our own smallness,wrote John Updike ten years ago in these pages. He watched the towers fall with “the false intimacy of television,” from a tenth-floor apartment in Brooklyn Heights. Over in North West London, we were certainly very small and distant, but we still felt that false intimacy.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2011/09/12/110912ta_talk_smith#ixzz1Xk03YZur

Hi,

The underlined part is difficult to understand especially the word of smallness.
I would take the following definition as:
smallness - lack of generosity in trifling matters littleness, pettiness
minginess, niggardliness, niggardness, tightfistedness, meanness, parsimoniousness, parsimony, closeness, tightness - extreme stinginess

So basically he is saying that please don't try to seek revenge for the tragic ONLY for our own sakes.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    I think you are trying too hard. Compare the world-wide implications with the "small-ness" in size of a single person watching something on TV.

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
    Thanks. Watching the tragic from a high building is as clear as watching it on TV.

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
    I think you are trying too hard. Compare the world-wide implications with the "small-ness" in size of a single person watching something on TV.
    I am having a bit of difficulty here:

What are those implications please? Do you mean the huge sense of loss from the tragic?

< Previous | Next >