Reduce its <exposure to> sea lanes patrolled by the US Navy.

sakura124

Japanese
Hi, can anyone help me understand the sentence below:

"The initiative will also reduce China's dependence on freight lines dominated by European shippers and its exposure to sea lanes patrolled by the US navy, plus develop new markets for Chinese exports."

The part I'm having trouble with is 'its exposure to sea lanes patrolled by the US navy.'
Does this mean China wants to reduce its use of the sea lanes because it's patrolled by the US navy?
I do not quite grasp what 'exposure' means exactly in this context.

Will anyone paraphrase it for me? Thanks!

*This sentence was taken from a news article on the new Marine Silk Road Bank planned by China.

• Wordnip

British English
    Presumably it means the same as '... and its use of sea lanes patrolled by the US navy, ...' However, 'exposure' suggests exposure to something undesirable connected with the US navy.

sakura124

Japanese
    To Wordnip:
    Hello, thanks a lot for your reply!
    It might be that China does not want too much influence (or interference?) by the US, I guess, which explains why it wants to reduce its use of those sea lanes.

If anybody else has different intepretations, please enlighten me:)
    (I'm still a bit vague about the definition; I haven't seen the word 'exposure' used in a similar context before.)

Wordnip

British English
    'Exposure' is commonly used in the context of the economy and many other things. We might read that Australia wants more exposure to the Chinese markets; that investors want to reduce their exposure to volatile stocks and so on. To be exposed to something in this sense means to be subjected to the vicissitudes of something. To be at risk of being harmed by some factor be it aggression, exchange rates or disease.

I agree that its use in your example is unusual. Perhaps it would be better to have talked of exposure to the US navy (and given the reason why) rather than to sea lanes but it amounts to much the same thing.

wandle

English - British
    I think 'exposure to' is used here in the economic sense and means 'dependence on'. China does not want to be dependent on US-patrolled sea lanes: just as another country may not want to be dependent on oil supplies which come by a particular route.

sakura124

Japanese
    Hi wandle! Thank you so much for posting a reply.

"Dependence on" also seems to fit well in this context:considering the previous part "reduce China's dependence on freight lines dominated by European shippers", China definitely want some other routes for transport, which are not under the influence of the West.

Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >