reduce/minimise climate change

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
I just want to know the accurate verb that can be used with climate change
I've seen bbc and forbes used 'reduce' and 'minimise' with 'climate change', so I guess I can use them as well.

Protecting the countryside is a key factor in reducing/minimising climate change.

And since global warm means the same as climate change, I guess I can also say protecting the countryside is a key factor in reducing/minimising global warming.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Kacy.

You can use "reduce" and "minimize" normally in talk about climate change. If you use "reduce", you are merely referring to the idea of causing the climate to change at a slower rate or to a lesser extent than it currently does. If you use "minimize", you are referring to the idea of consciously keeping the rate of change at a minimum. "Climate change" isn't intrinsically good or bad, but it is fairly common to use the phrase in talk about global warming, which many people believe is a bad thing.

If you can reasonably say that protecting the countryside will result in a reduced or minimized rate of global warming, "reducing" or "minimizing" are words that you can use in your second example.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    As OP points out, "climate change" is a modern euphemism (a nicer-sounding term) for "global warming". All references to "climate change" are really about "global warming".

But changing the noun changes the sentence meaning. "Warming" means "an increase in temperature" (a rate), so "reducing warming" means "slowing a rate: making the rate smaller". It is a normal use of "reducing".

But when the noun is "change", I think "minimizing change" makes more sense than "reducing change". All charts and numbers use temperature numbers ("warming", not "climate change"). "Climate change" is too vague to put numbers on or talk about "reducing".

Protecting the countryside is a key factor in reducing/minimising climate change.
    Owlman, this sentence intends to mean that "protecting the countryside" is a goal of reducing climate change, not an independent action that results in reducing climate change.

Kacy, this shows that "is a key factor in" is unclear. Usually "is a key factor in" means "is a key factor in doing", which is what Owlman thought -- and which is the opposite of what you mean.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Protecting the countryside" is very vague. I understood it as Owlman did, since it could be argued that protecting the countryside involves not building on or mining it - which might in theory delay the rate of increase of global warming.

this sentence intends to mean that "protecting the countryside" is a goal of reducing climate change, not an independent action that results in reducing climate change.
    Perhaps that's what it means, but it isn't what it says.

< Previous | Next >