reduced allowing examination

ciprox

german
Source : Moorfields Manual of Ophthalmology

Chemosis has reduced allowing examination of the cornea and intraocular structures.

What does '' allowing '' refers to ? Or how else can we write this sentence?

• “Allowing” refers to the reduction of swelling. You might find the sentence easier to understand if you put a comma after “reduced.”

I opened this thread yesterday. Sorry for bringing it up again. I just wondered. Could we also write this sentence as :

Because chemosis has reduced, examination of the cornea and intraocular structures has been allowed. ?

Not really. That makes "allowed" sound more like giving permission. Your re-write would work better if you ended it with "has been made possible" or "is now possible".

Not really. That makes "allowed" sound more like giving permission. Your re-write would work better if you ended it with "has been made possible" or "is now possible".
    yes slightly different in meaning. i noticed it. but isn't it a grammatically correct ? i was wondering about this ?

It is grammatically correct, but so is "A sackful of potatoes swam the English Channel by candlelight."
    Grammatical correctness is only one thing we strive to achieve. Sentences need to make sense, have a well-defined meaning, and sound natural.
    Your sentence in #7 doesn't meet all those criteria.

It is grammatically correct, but so is "A sackful of potatoes swam the English Channel by candlelight."
    Grammatical correctness is only one thing we strive to achieve. Sentences need to make sense, have a well-defined meaning, and sound natural.
    Your sentence in #7 doesn't meet all those criteria.
    Because of reduced chemosis, examination of the cornea and intraocular structures has been/ was allowed.

Then this is correct, right ?

Then this is correct, right ?
    It is not correct enough for my taste, because "allowed" is the wrong word for this context. It makes it sound as though someone has allowed the examination, but the intended meaning is that the examination, which earlier had been prevented by the chemosis, is now possible because of teh reduction.

Back