Redundancy Fallacy? : the these countries

stenka25

South Korea, Han-gul
The sentence below is from a book, Bad Samaritans.
In the sentence, the underlined "the these" seems awkward to me due to redundancy.

So I checked up on Google Books which brought up about 7,500 site with "the these."

Can you help me?

The real IMF, the International Monetary Fund, may not send secret agents to blow up buildings or assassinate underirables, but it is much feared by developing countries all the same, for it plays the role of gatekeeper vis-a-vis the these countries, controlling their access to international finance.

• owlman5

English-US
    This looks like a misprint, Stenka. It should read "vis-a-vis these countries". If you can read the sentence in question, you should trust your instincts. If something like "the these" seems odd to you, it's probably a mistake.

owlman5

English-US
    I agree with owlman, 'the these' doesn't make sense - I wonder why it came up so many times on Google Books?
    That's an interesting question, Beryl. As I scan through the entries that pop up, many of them seem to arise from the juxtaposition of "the" and "these" in various texts. One that shows up looks like the name of a river, the These, and quite a few others seem to deal with an explanation of some term in French, as in this example: both are variants of the these nobiliaire.*

*Aristocracy, Antiquity and History: Classicism in Political Thought, A.A.M. Kinneging. p. 239

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >