refer or refer to?

• Mr.Dent

English American
    We need more context. "Refer to figure 1 is correct", but "refer to the image in figure 1" would also be correct. "Refer to the figure 1 image" would also be acceptable.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    We just don't use the definite article in constructions of that sort ("refer to...", "please see...", etc.) for words relating to parts of written works, including: paragraph, section, page, chapter, unit, and volume.

kamalaziz

malay - malaysia
    thanks Mr. Dent for your reply..

Hi Glefarclass.. Sorry, I just don't understand what you meant. Could you please give me some examples?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Please see the page 68 for more information." :cross:
    "I have to read the chapter 5 of the book before tomorrow." :cross:
    "I need a copy of the volume 2 of this work." :cross:

Mr.Dent

English American
    "Please see the page 68 for more information." :cross:
    "I have to read the chapter 5 of the book before tomorrow.":cross:
    "I need a copy of the volume 2 of this work." :cross:
    "Please see the page for more information.":tick:
    "I have to read the chapter before tomorrow.":tick:
    "I need a copy of the volume of this work." :tick:

We usually don't use the definite article with names, though there are certain exceptions. See more at: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/definite-article#sthash.G84cOlym.dpuf

When you say "figure 1" you are essentially giving a name to that figure and therefore "the", the definite article, is not used. When I removed the names of the page, the chapter and the volume in the examples above, it dictated use of the definite article.

kamalaziz

malay - malaysia
    I see..thanks a lot Mr. dent.

I have some other questions. How would you use slash in a sentence?
    For example Licence/for making Licence, do we need to put a space in between the slash (Licence / For making licence) or there is no need to put a space at all.

I do understand that there should be no space to indicate something as follows;

1. Dear Sir/Madam
    2 The speed limit is 100 km/h

< Previous | Next >