referenced by the client

Monipao

Español
hi, everybody

I just to be sure about this traslation. If someone helps me I´ll really appreciate it. Thanks.

One (1) bell for truck made in soft iron casting (figure 1) and referenced by the client of the following way?:

Una (1) campana para camión fabricada en fundición gris (ver figura 1) y referenciada por el cliente de la siguiente manera:

• jackaustralia

Australia English
    One (1) bell for a truck made in soft iron casting (figure 1) and referenced by the client in the following way.

Three comments:

(1) soft iron casting I found in a past post but I am not sure about. http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=585102
    (2) I had a problem translating 'referenciada' and I could not find it even in the RAE. Could you clarify what this means? Referenced doesn't make a lot of sense to me in this context.
    (3) I take it that the original text is in Spanish and you are translating to English.

Cheers.

Monipao

Español
    Yes. The original text is in Spanish so I need those expressions in English.

(1) Actually, I found a lot of similar words but I am not sure yet. Im searching.
    (2) Referenced or referenciada means that the client called some items with specific names to identify them. For example:
    § Front bell 43512 – 2330B This is the name of the item.

Thank you

Monipao

Español
    I am not sure if the word (ferenced) for this context it is correct. There is other possibility to say that.

jackaustralia

Australia English
    OK I think you should say: One (1) bell for a truck made in soft iron casting (figure 1) and it was referred to by the client in the following way:

My only doubt is whether it should be "is referred to" or "was referred to" as the original text didn't make it clear what tense we are in. Note that English uses the past tense far more often than Spanish when qouting someone.

Monipao

Español
    ok. Thank you. I didnt note that before, but you are right. It is referred to by the client in the following way. I am sorry sometimes I forget that because in Spanish it is not too common.
    I have a question. I dont understand why to is before by is posssible in this context and doesnt it change the tense that I wont to say.
    Thanks

jackaustralia

Australia English
    (1) I think changing the tense could make a better translation. In English when we are qouting someone we use the past while in Spanish you generally seem to use the present. For example, in English if you are talking with friends and you want to qoute what someone said you would say 'He said that...' (not usually 'he says that')
    (2) 'It is referred to by the client' is a little tricky but in this context the 'to' is a necessary preposition and 'by' is also and 'by' can loosely be translated to 'por' (el cliente).

I hope this helps. Jack

< Previous | Next >