refering to a future event via another that happens futher in the future

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I was just wondering if I was right. An interview where you ask 'him' some questions is taking place, and after that you have to report what you have just heard from him.

I would most likely say [3], and also say [1] but I wouldn't say it so often as [3]. [2] to is wrong (but careless speakers would say it).

Am I on the right track?

[1] I'm going to report what he says in the interview.:tick:
[2] I'm going to report what he said in the interview.:cross:
[3] I'm going to report what he has said in the interview.:tick::tick:

..the present....interview......reporting.........>>> time goes this way

• HSS

Hi, Hermione.

But the interview is not done yet :confused:.... It's taking place in the future, and the reporting is taking place further in the future.

Hiro

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I was just wondering if I was right. An interview where you ask 'him' some questions is taking place, and after that you have to report what you have just heard from him.

I would most likely say [3], and also say [1] but I wouldn't say it so often as [3]. [2] to is wrong (but careless speakers would say it).

Am I on the right track?

[1] I'm going to report what he says in the interview.:tick:
    [2] I'm going to report what he said in the interview.:cross:
    [3] I'm going to report what he has said in the interview.:tick::tick:

..the present....interview......reporting.........>>> time goes this way
    Hello Hiro,

I think I prefer [1] here, because [3] could mean that I'm going to report something which has already been said - ie. in the past now.

As both the saying and the reporting are in the future, I'd use [1], which makes this clear.

HSS

Hi, Thomas.

Now that you said it, yes it could mean that too. [2] works around the confusion. You would also say, "I'm going to report what he has to say in the interview," wouldn't you?

Hiro

< Previous | Next >