reflective note on/about

< Previous | Next >
  • EStjarn

Spanish
    I think members hesitate to answer because it's not clear what you mean by a reflective note. Could you provide some more context?

EStjarn

Spanish
    I notice there is an abundance of previous threads discussing the choice between on/about. I found a few replies that hopefully are pertinent here (and which, incidentally, agree with my view). You can reach the threads by clicking the arrows in the quotes:
    In broad terms, on tends to have the slight nuance of specifically; directly; exactly, whereas about tends to have the slight nuance of around; generally; in broader terms; as a whole, although I am not sure that everyone consciously makes this fine distinction.
    I don't see much difference, but in practice 'dissertation', 'lecture', 'scholarly article', 'thesis' collocate better with 'on'. It is used for the titles of scholarly works; for example 'De Rerum Natura' is translated as 'On the Nature of Things'.
    When you use 'on' [instead of 'about'], you take out the sense of 'freely moving within a particular topic area'. 'on' is used to indicate that the discussion will focus on the specific topic under discussion.
    They're equivalent in the sense that you're writing about poetry, or writing on poetry, or writing of poetry: here 'about' is the more common choice. But for titles of essays, we usually choose 'On'.

e2efour

UK English
    If you mean an essay, there's little to choose between on and about.
    However, I would imagine that on wins by a narrow margin, although about is perfectly acceptable.I would not consider note to be a clear synonym of essay, so it depends on what sentence you want to write.One common phrase with note is to take notes on something.

< Previous | Next >