refreshing

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently thinking of how to translate the following sentence into Chinese: "I find it refreshing to have a cold beverage when it's really hot outside." Would this be: "我觉得很(提神的?振奋精神的?)天气很热的时候喝冷的饮料"? (Feel free to change it completely if it sounds 别扭!)

Thanks! :)

• SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    [colloquial] 我覺得很熱的時候,來一罐冰的,整個人都活過來了。

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks, Simon!

罐 means "can" here, right? (Could it also refer to a "glass"?)
    整個人都活過來了。
    This means to feel "alive" and "invigorated", right? Does it have a very strong meaning? If not, then I guess it could replace "refreshed" or "refreshing" :)
    (Are the dictionary translations "提神的" and "振奋精神" ever used too? Are they formal?)

謝謝!:D

T.D

mandarin
    OK! Thanks, T.D! :)
    Some additional room for improvement.
    In Chinese we say "doing something is adj" instead of "it is adj doing something".
    You can combine 冷的 and 饮料 as 冷饮。

我觉得在天气很热的时候喝冷饮很爽。

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    罐 means "can" here, right? (Could it also refer to a "glass"?)
    Yes, it is a measure word meaning 'can'. And no, it does not refer to a glass.
    Are the dictionary translations "提神的" and "振奋精神" ever used too?
    Never, probably. And I'd definitely be confused if you were to describe doing so as '振奮精神'.
    This means to feel "alive" and "invigorated", right? Does it have a very strong meaning?
    It can be either, and in your case, it is more about feeling alive. (If the beverage is something like 蠻牛, 馬力夯, or 維士比 B, then it can mean feeling invigorated.)
    You can combine 冷的 and 饮料 as 冷饮.
    '冷飲' sounds quite formal to my ear. And I'd like to add that '冰的' sounds more attractive than simply '冷的'. 冷開水 can be around room temperature.
    The word you are looking for, I guess, is 爽.
    Just adding that, such use of '爽' is very informal, perfectly fine, though. (I actually thought of '爽', too, but I was unsure if it matches the original sentence stylistically.)
    我覺得很熱的時候,來一罐冰的,整個人都活過來了。
    It was about bedtime when I wrote this, so I made it short. Here is an important usage note: When I wrote the sentence, I was imagining myself saying ahhhh (like the one you make after drinking ice-cold Coke on a hot summer day) between '來一罐冰的' and '整個人都活過來了', so that the whole sentence sounds natural.

Last edited: