refugee is forced to flee their country (Gender neutrality, "they")

< Previous | Next >

Guille-Arg

Spanish - Argentina
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to avoid any specific reference to a gender while speaking or writing. The thing is that it fells grammatically uncomfortable to switch from a singular form to neutral pronoun they. Should I use then always plural forms? Given this paragraph:
But a refugee is forced to flee their country because they are persecuted for their political or religious beliefs or their ethnicity or they could even be escaping from an armed conflict. In short, they are at risk in their country of origin.
Should I write refugees instead?

Thanks in advanced!

• SevenDays

Spanish
    You are getting into a question of style; nothing wrong with using "they," and nothing wrong with switching from singular to plural. Now, you have the singular "a refugee" followed by three "they's" and three "their's" and that might be a bit jarring. One possibility to tighten the text:

But a refugee is forced to flee a native country because of political, religious or ethnic persecution; a refuge could even be escaping from an armed conflict. In short, refugees are at risk in their own country.

< Previous | Next >