regal (on a notebook)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Rochilaro, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Rochilaro Member

Alicante
    Spain
    Hi everybody!

I am translating an English novel into Spanish for university, but I have a problem with this word, as the senses given in dictionaries don't make much sense in the context. I give you the sentence:

"It was a thick book, crammed with bits of paper. There was a gold logo embossed on the front that said 'Regal' in fancy lettering".

Maybe it is the brand of the notebook? Later it is discovered that the man used it as a diary, so it isn't a book, it is a notebook... I found in the internet that regal is a kind of pattern for the front, but I don't know why would a notebook have this as a title...

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, you're right. Regal is the name of the company that produced the notebook. The fact that it is a logo is one clue, and then a did an Internet search for "Regal notebook" to confirm. :)

3. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hi,

Sounds to me like it's the name of the company that sold the notebook. It's not unusual for stationery to have the company logo imprinted.

That said, it could be something else. I've been thinking about "regale" rather than "regal" (since it's a diary and therefore contains juicy details :D) but I'm inclined to stick to the "logo" theory for now.

4. Pidginboy Senior Member

India-Local dialect
    In my childhood ( forty years ago), I used to come across these trade names on books, pens and other stationery items. The companies wanted to convey the impression that it was a royal piece of stationery so anybody could use it. By the by, we had this name on cine theaters as well, presumably to suggest that they were built for the members of royal family or others of that status.

5. Rochilaro Member

Alicante
    Spain
    Thanks a lot!
    All your answers have been very useful!