regardless of occupation or area of study

hboo

Chinese
Hello,

E.g."No one has any reason to talk down to another person regardless of occupation or area of study."

I rephrase the sentence into the following two:

1."No one has any reason to talk down to another person despite occupation or area of study." - Is this sentence natural?

2."No one has any reason to talk down to another person no matter occupation or area of study." - I guess this sentence isn't correct? And the only way I can make it right is:"No one has any reason to talk down to another person no matter what their occupation or area of study is."?

Thanks.

• hboo

Chinese
    Thank you, e2efour.

Do you mean my example sentence doesn't sound good either? Should it be:"No one has any reason to talk down to another person regardless of their occupation or area of study."?

So is the sentence 2:"No one has any reason to talk down to another person despite their occupation or area of study." - Does it sound natural now?

Thanks.

e2efour

UK English
    Your example sentence is fine (no matter what their occupation ...).
    Despite I would avoid, since it seems to have the wrong meaning. For example, the law often says that you should not discriminate against another person on the grounds of/regardless of their gender/no matter what their gender is.
    When you use regardless of or no matter what it is best to have a comma after person.

< Previous | Next >