register

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, I was just thinking.

You'd say "This is it. I'll go to the cashier/ check-out counter, and wait outside for you to finish your shopping" Would you also say 'go to the register'? In the U.S., I almost always see the sign 'cashier' or 'check-out counter,' but I can't recalling ever seeing 'register.' Would you use 'register' for 'cashier'?

Hiro

• owlman5

English-US
    The "cash register" is the machine that people use to record sales and store a little money in. It would be normal to say "I'm going up to the register to pay for this." If you say this, you aren't thinking of the cashier, but rather the machine.

ribran

English - American
    Hi, I was just thinking.

You'd say "This is it. I'll go to the cashier/ check-out counter, and wait outside for you to finish your shopping" Would you also say 'go to the register'? In the U.S., I almost always see the sign 'cashier' or 'check-out counter,' but I can't recalling ever seeing 'register.' Would you use 'register' for 'cashier'?

Hiro
    Hi Hiro,

I wouldn't say, "I'll go to the cashier."

I would say something like, "I'm going to pay for these (at the register) now."

A cashier and a cash register are two different things, as are the ground and the floor, but not everyone sees it that way. :D

Last edited:

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Thanks, all. So, you would say one or the other (and, check-out counter as likely), depending on the sentence.

-I'm going to pay for these (at the register/ check-out counter) now.
    -I'm going to pay the cashier now.
    -I'm going to check these out now.

Would you say the last one?

ribran

English - American
    Thanks, all. So, you would say one or the other (and, check-out counter as likely), depending on the sentence.

-I'm going to pay for these (at the register/ check-out counter) now. :tick:
    -I'm going to pay the cashier now. I wouldn't say this in this context.
    -I'm going to check these out now.

Would you say the last one? If I were at the library, yes.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >