registered to the Weyland-Yutani Corporation <out of Panama>

Agito a42

Source: USCSS Nostromo

The USCSS Nostromo, registration number 1809246(09), was a modified Lockmart CM-88B Bison M-Class starfreighter captained by Arthur Dallas, registered to the Weyland-Yutani Corporation out of Panama.

Could you tell me what "out of Panama" means here? It just doesn't make sense to me. Does it mean the company is based in Panama?

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    Flag of convenience - Wikipedia
    Flag of convenience (FOC) is a business practice whereby a ship's owners register a merchant ship in a ship register of a country other than that of the ship's owners, and the ship flies the civil ensign of that country, called the flag state.[2] The term is often used pejoratively, and the practice is regarded as contentious. Each merchant ship is required by international law to be registered in a registry created by a country,[3] and a ship is subject to the laws of that country, which are used also if the ship is involved in a case under admiralty law. A ship's owners may elect to register a ship in a foreign country which enables it to avoid the regulations of the owners’ country which may, for example, have stricter safety standards.
    Many ships worldwide are registered out of Panama.

Agito a42

Thank you, Myridon. Very helpful.
    However, I'm still not clear on why it's "out of". I would probably expect "in". Is it the same use as in "the company operates out of offices in London"?

Andygc

British English
    I find that terminology odd. A ship is registered in Panama, not out of Panama. It can't even be said to operate out of Panama, since it is very unusual for ships registered in Panama to ever enter Panamian waters.

< Previous | Next >