Reinforcement / reinforcements

< Previous | Next >

Gerardo G.

Español colombiano
I'm working on a text about the folding of a shopping bag. An English friend is helping me with the grammar and spelling. The bag includes paperboard rectangles in order to give it more strength.

My friend has written reinforcement even when I'm reffering to more than one rectangle, is that correct? It sounds a little weird to me so I wanted to check with you guys.

Here is a particular sentence:

"Later on I folded a bag from a 70 x 81.7 cm rectangle of colored paper folded together with kraft paper; that bag was able to hold 3 kg without needing any reinforcement".

Should it really be "reinforcement" in that case or should it be "reinforcements"? Are there situations were the word "reinforcements" is used or does it simply not exist?

• Gerardo G.

Español colombiano
    I think I got it... thanks! Are these sentences correct then? All of the following cases are about the objects per se instead of the need of reinforcement:

1. To carry more weight, I would have to use reinforcements made of paperboard.
    2. I strongly recommend using reinforcements since Tyvek is a strong material, but also of low density.
    3. ...a pair of internal pockets (front and back) for the paperboard reinforcements of the sides.
    4. Reinforcements are cut out of paperboard.

Gerardo G.

Español colombiano
    That's so embarrasing :eek:! Thanks for correcting me Rover_KE. With time I've been forgetting my English and I end up writing words that sound similar without even noticing.

And thanks for helping me out. Hopefully someone else will find what makes those sentences sound a bit odd.

Myridon

English - US
    Individual reinforcements such as those made of paperboard (cardboard in AmE) are countable. The concept of reinforcement is uncountable. 1, 3, and 4 are about actual instances of countable reinforcements. 2 could be about either.

Individual reinforcements such as those made of paperboard (cardboard in AmE) are countable. The concept of reinforcement is uncountable. 1, 3, and 4 are about actual instances of countable reinforcements. 2 could be about either.
    I agree.

(It's cardboard in BrE, too. I've never heard of 'paperboard' and thought it was AmE, though it's in our dictionary, so somebody must use the word.)

< Previous | Next >