relate to or involve?

uktous

cantonese
Hi,

Which sentence is more correct?

Sentence1:
The work of an accountant relates to producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports, and calculations of firms' assets.
Sentence2:
The work of an accountant involve producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports, and calculations of firms' assets.

Thanks

• LQZ

Mandarin
    The work of an accountant involves producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports, and calculations of firms' assets.

Or

An accountant is responsible for producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports, and calculations of firms' assets.

I may be wrong and am waiting for native's comments with you

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Uktous. I prefer your choice of "involve" in sentence 2. "Relates to" also works fine, but I generally like expressing things in the shortest way possible. When you use the verb "involve" in the third person you must remember to add an "s" to the verb to mark it in the present tense: The work of an accountant involves producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports and calculating firms' assets.

You'll notice that I changed "calculations of firms' assets" to "calculating firms' assets". I did this to maintain a parallel structure with "producing" and "writing". If you want more information about this change, I'd suggest that you look up "parallel structures" or "parallelism" in English grammar websites. Here's one link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/01/

Sun14

Chinese
    Hello, Uktous. I prefer your choice of "involve" in sentence 2. "Relates to" also works fine, but I generally like expressing things in the shortest way possible. When you use the verb "involve" in the third person you must remember to add an "s" to the verb to mark it in the present tense: The work of an accountant involves producing the balance sheets, writing financial reports and calculating firms' assets.

You'll notice that I changed "calculations of firms' assets" to "calculating firms' assets". I did this to maintain a parallel structure with "producing" and "writing". If you want more information about this change, I'd suggest that you look up "parallel structures" or "parallelism" in English grammar websites. Here's one link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/01/
    How about substituting include for involve in sentence 2. I read a thread talking about the difference between involve and include. It indicates that Involved would be the same as concerned or related to.

< Previous | Next >